Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Year, New Me!

We are all fond of creating New Years Resolutions but most of the time if not all the time, we were not able to fulfill it.  We are very determined at the start of the year,  making a checklist on what needs to be improved but as the days and months passes by, they become mere list to look at and just abandoned. Right? At the end of the year, when we look back and check our list, we sigh because we barely kept those promises.  We take a deep breath and make a recycled pact that next year will be much better. We'll be a better person.

Truth is, we don’t really need a new year’s resolution to make us better persons. Or better yet, it doesn’t need to be New Year for us to start working on improving ourselves.  We can change ourselves anytime, any day of the year.  But we all know that creating a new set of promises at the beginning of the year is more dramatic, not to mention inspiring. If anything, it gives us a new sense of hope and a glimmer of light, as bright as those fireworks on New Year's Eve.

I'm not fond of doing New Year's Resolutions myself because I'm simply terrible at keeping them. I have to admit though that creating a list is fun. Such was the case when I made this last year. And since I was entertained by the mere act of creating one, why not do another list this time? Doesn't really matter how many I’ve accomplished.  Now, that's not so bad at all, is it?

Without further ado, here's my 2013 Resolutions, not just as a traveler and as an office worker, but as a well-rounded individual as well.
EAT WELL
seaffod
People can attest how good my appetite, and I can just sit and pig out the entire day if I want to. I love sweets, I will die for it just to get one. Give me chocolates, Ice cream and the like and I will love you for the rest of my life.  I had a very bountiful year last 2012 and most of those meals were fast foods and instant made meals. I admit, I suck when it comes to cooking. I have tried several times, but I still fail, so why try more? This 2013, I will make sure to limit my sweet intakes and increase healthy foods consisting of fruits and veggies. Cut down instant meals and fast foods too.   I will indulge myself eating a lot of seafood's instead.  Explore seafood restaurants (the cheaper ones though).
EXERCISE MORE OFTEN 
IMG_2152
Traveling, in a way, is a form of exercise already, what with all the walking, running and hiking required to get to a destination. Not to mention the requisite jump shots that take various takes before achieving the perfect shot. But it's still important to do a regular exercise, like going to the gym. I started sprinting and regular short distance running last Christmas to keep burning more calories aside from the indoor routines I'm doing at home.  I wanted to also engage more on a particular program that will let me reignite my passion for dancing. Whew! The last time I can remember I had serious dancing moves….hmmm… that was close to 7 years ago.  I don’t know if I still have that same grove now, but I will do my best to at least keep myself moving and swaying. For the record, I lose weight even during holidays, I really call it “self determination + self discipline”. It’s expensive to buy new set of clothes, so I would rather loose weight, I guess its less expensive in all aspects. Also, I would like to do regular swimming. So help me God!
SMILE / LAUGH OFTEN AND BE MORE SPONTANEOUS
281495_4363150750561_985130158_n
It's the best medicine, period. And it just feels good to laugh. Makes you look younger beyond your years too. But this should be done appropriately, otherwise people can mistake you as someone who's not right in the head. Read a funny book, watch a funny movie, go out with crazy friends.  Smiling, according to some studies, have health benefits, like boosting the immune system and relieving stress. It also helps you win friends. Having a winning smile is beneficial in traveling - can score you a big discount on tours or accommodations. I am already spontaneous and would like improve more on my skills about this.  Let’s see where this spontaneity will take me this year.

BE GRATEFUL

new artworks
Because we're too used to getting things in exchange of money, we consider all efforts as part of the job. Thank a co worker or a team mate for reporting to work and for doing a great job. Thank the cab driver for getting you to your destination safe. Thank the waiter who served you good food. You don't know what a simple thank you can do to someone's morale.

READ MORE BOOKS

Library-Books
Reading makes you smart, because it boosts analytical thinking. It improves the memory and the best part and is also beneficial for me is that it helps improve writing skills. Last year, I haven't read as many books as I had in the previous years. This time, I'll try to read as many books as I can.

EXPECT LESS

IMG_2071 High expectations usually ruin things, because more often than not, those expectations are hardly met, so you end up feeling disappointed. The key to enjoying is not expecting anything. Surprises are way more fun.

BE LESS EMOTIONAL

toshbook7 
Moping rarely does anything good. Everyone needs drama, but everyday drama is unhealthy. Perhaps keeping a private journal can help avoid pouring your emotions out on Facebook/Twitter. I mean, my emotions. So no melodramatic outbursts for me this year. Crossing My Fingers on this one. One reason I bought a hardbound Diary.

BE MORE PRACTICAL

needs-versus-wants-480x330

Jeepneys and buses over taxi cabs. Free water as opposed to soda. Needs over wants! The list goes on. Bottom line: I need to be wise, which brings us to the next item --

SPEND LESS, SAVE MORE

87966980
One thing I've been working on really hard is saving. Traveling is an expensive hobby but creating a huge hole in the pocket can be minimized by proper budget management. Old school but I maintained a coin bank every time I'm preparing for something, might be a new gear, a new travel or anything. I will make sure that everything will be properly managed.

TRY SOMETHING NEW

Rover Moves 101 This 2012.. I've tried a lot of NEW THINGS and one of them is Traveling solo… It’s a fun experience that taught me great deal of lessons and realizations about life and what i really wanted.  This year, I'm in a look-out for something new and exciting. I will try Surfing and Scuba Diving and will attempt to do camping in a remote area…Giddy about the idea, this will be sooo much Fun. Always challenge yourself to do something new and trust me you will learn and discover a lot! Suggestions are most welcome!

DO SOMETHING YOU HAVEN'T DONE IN QUITE A LONG TIME

297784_4610616657054_237371273_n
Dancing, for instance.  I can recall, I danced seriously 7 years ago. I terribly miss it.  Watching Movie maybe in a Cinema and one thing I missed that I did this year, I had my hair curled. :)

CLIMB MORE MOUNTAINS | DISCOVER MORE CAVES | EXPLORE MORE CORAL REEFS | BEACH BUM MORE OFTEN

You don't know how addicting these hobbies if you don't get to experience one.  I can clearly recall  when I am still studying, I usually spent my summer doing Day Hikes and Spelunking on Local Caves. I love the cool feeling if im inside a cave, I love to look at the beauty contained in it not to mention the stalactites and stalagmites. Also, more often than not, snorkeling will not be forgotten every time we plan for a team outing. I am bitch opps..beach person and I love anything and everything that goes with.  Last year I was able to complete my snorkeling gears and this time, I'm serious about becoming a mountaineer.  This year, I'm going to climb more, but I need to invest on gears needed for hiking first. Tent. Sleeping bag. Hike pants.
langub cave Rover Moves 101
IMG_2536 IMG_2540




















CHOOSE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED
IMG_2009
The country is rife with destinations that are literally off-the-beaten tracks. For the past years, I've been attracted to famous destinations and I was afraid to venture to the less-known paths. But that might change now. Hopefully.


BE A TRAVELER BY HEART – TALK TO STRANGERS
IMG_1896
I've a tendency to be an introvert. More introverted than I already am. I rarely strike up a conversation because I'm afraid of getting rejected. But my solo trips have somehow taught me to talk to people I don't know and build a meaningful connection.

Okay, well, this list is getting longer and I don't want to bore you so I'm stopping right here. I'll get back to this at the end of the year to check the things I was able to do. These are a few commitments I'm quite serious about.

Happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment