Sunday, January 19, 2014

Dining Barefooted at Kalui Restaurant

I heard about Kalui from a friend prior to visiting Puerto Princesa City. So why should I miss this chance to dine in the restaurant? I’ve read a lot of good reviews about it. On my second day I reserved a lunch date at Kalui. The reservation should be at 12 noon but as I am too excited to see the place myself and experience what I’ve read, I came 30 minutes ahead of the appointment.
IMG_7491 I guess the picture and text above will provide the information you need about the hours of operation. Kalui is  a famous seafood restaurant in Puerto Princesa. It’s intricately design to give guests and diners a homey feel.  .You have to  make reservation as well if you plan to drop by as the restaurant is usually fully booked during peak hours when tourists wanted to dine, Kalui is on top of the list.
IMG_7485After the guard at the entrance, there’s a nice landscaped garden with fountains and sculptures. I wasn't disappointed when I entered the restaurant, I was greeted with great smiles from the staff. The restaurant has a native feel, so homey and clean too. You wouldn't mind to walk barefoot because every footwear should be left before entering the restaurant. Your footwear will be placed in small lockers.  IMG_7486As soon as I placed my footwear inside the locker, the staff guided me to the table reserved for me in their restaurant. They offer a wide variety of menu which depends on the fresh catch of the day. Everything on the menu are seafood's and vegetables which includes sashimi, tempura, shellfish soup, sinigang, baked mussel and of course fishes from grilled to steamed and many more.

Let’s take a glimpse of Kalui’s interior. While waiting for my food to be served, i took the liberty to walk around and capture some of the best spots I found very amusing inside this restaurant. The native wooden house was just filled with art work. My eyes feasted on colorful paintings and photographs, and sculptures hanging on the wall. KaLui has small exhibit area at the back part of the restaurant where dozens of paintings are showcased. Some of them are said to be of local artists’. Besides the usual tables and chairs, KaLui has a few low tables and pillows resting on a banig one corner of the restaurant  for customers who prefer to sit on a matted wooden floor. Despite the fact the restaurant was not airconditioned, I like the ambience – cool fresh air breezing through the restaurant and light music.
What i got for lunch: One serving of white rice, fried eggplant, a slice of grilled tuna, pickled papaya and sea grapes paired with ripe mango shake. After I wiped out my plates, the waiter asked if he could serve my dessert – a complimentary serving of mixed tropical fruits sprinkled with cinnamon on top in a half coconut shell. I was surprised and happy at the same time. The free dessert was yummy and, with my tummy full.

IMG_7472

IMG_7475 IMG_7479
A great dining experience in Kalui Restaurant, something to unique from the rest of the restaurant I’ve been to.
KaLui Restaurant
369 Rizal Avenue
Puerto Princesa City, Palawan
Opens Daily
*Sundays Lunch 11-2pm; Dinner 6:00-10:30pm
Reservations Requested:(048) 433 2580 / Ask your hotel front desk to call the restaurant to reserve seat/s for you
Visit KaLui's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment